Never quite worded in that way, but these questions are seeking to find something about you that is not reflected in your academic record -- some sort of significant life event that made a major impact on who you are. These are probably the most common type of question asked of applicants.
- Relate a significant experience or achievement that has special meaning to you.
- Discuss a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.
- Discuss some issue of personal, local, or national concern -- and its importance to you.
- What is the most significant event in your family history that has made you the person you are today?
- Please elaborate on one of your activities (extracurricular, personal, summer, or work experience) and why you choose to engage in it.
- Using a favorite quotation as a jumping off point, tell us about an event or experience that helped you define one of your values.
- What is your most meaningful activity outside the classroom and why?